Misdemeanor Attorneys in Austin
Defend Yourself with Carroll Troberman, PLLC
Misdemeanors can have serious implications on your future plans, especially if you are being charged with a second or greater misdemeanor. Don’t make the mistake of believing that these are a small issue, but get in touch with our attorneys to explore your legal options and fight against your criminal charges.
Penalties for Misdemeanor Charges in Texas
The prosecution is required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offense. If certain elements can’t be proven, there is a chance you could get a reduced or dismissed charge. It’s important to consult with an experienced attorney who can look for and capitalize on these opportunities.
Penalties for misdemeanors are outlined in Tex. Penal Code §12.21 to §12.23:
- Class C misdemeanor penalties: This is the lowest offense in Texas, with fines set at a maximum of $500.
- Class B misdemeanor penalties: This offense is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a maximum fine of $2,000.
- Class A misdemeanor penalties: This offense is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a maximum fine of $4,000.
A repeat or habitual misdemeanor offender can face more significant penalties and fines.
Common Class A misdemeanors include:
- DWI - 2nd offense
- Assault causing bodily injury, family violence, and/or domestic violence
- Violating a protective order
- Marijuana possession (more than 2 ounces, but less than 4 ounces)
- Burglary of a vehicle
- Theft of property valued at $500-$1,500
- Unlawfully carrying a firearm
Common Class B misdemeanors include:
- DWI - 1st offense
- Criminal Trespass
- Marijuana Possession (less than 2 ounces)
- Reckless driving
Common Class C misdemeanors include:
- Public intoxication
- Theft and/or shoplifting - property valued at less than $50
- DUI by a minor
- Simple assault
Difference Between a Felony & a Misdemeanor Offense
Felonies are typically considered more serious crimes than misdemeanors. Misdemeanors accrue less severe penalties and consequences; however, multiple misdemeanors can have a snowball effect and the penalties can add up very quickly.
Call (512) 772-2442 for a Consultation
If you find yourself charged with a misdemeanor, call our firm today. Our Austin criminal defense attorneys are backed by 30 years of combined experience and have handled thousands of cases for their clients.
We are committed to excellence and can help you as you navigate each step of the criminal process. You can count on us to provide personalized legal services that are customized to fit your needs. Call (512) 772-2442 today.
Over 30 Years of Combined Experience
We Have Countless Accolades & Are Respected in the Legal Community
Providing High-Quality Legal Advice & Representation
We Give Each Client Personalized Attention
We've Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases
You won’t find a better person or attorney in the state of Texas.- Danielle K.
All of us have been fortunate that she was on our side and I highly recommend her for any legal services.- Jason W.
A true asset to any law firm.- Vickilynn P.
I trust him with my life and can definitely attest to him being an exemplary example of what a Lawyer should be!- Amy N.
Couldn’t have made it through this without her. 10/10 would recommend.- Dustin S.